Seesmic Desktop is a social networking client that has evolved from a simple Twitter tool to a multi-service application.
Seesmic Desktop now supports Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace, Ning and Formspring. All of these can be used together or separately, while a variety of interesting plug-ins such as Last.fm and YouTube apps will allow you to expand your user experience considerably.
The Seesmic experience
The Seesmic Desktop application is easy to use, but not exactly slick. It's based on Microsoft Silverlight and takes up a pretty big chunk of your computer resources. The interface itself is customizable to a certain degree - you can display and remove any of the feeds you have enabled, choose from 2 different view styles and apply various colored tints to the background - although we have to say that in terms of appearance, this isn't very exciting.
Seesmic Desktop is definitely improving with each version and more supported accounts and the plug-ins have made this one something to take notice of. Even so, Seesmic Desktop is still a clunky application that won't appeal to users who would prefer separate - and lighter - applications for each of their social networking accounts.
Seesmic Desktop is improving all the time and if you want a centralized hub for Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and more, it's a good choice.
- Ability to filter messages in the column of Facebook Page between Admin and Fans
- Fixed the selection for the default twitter account for add-on services
- Improvements for connecting and authenticating upon adding a Facebook account
- Various improvements for configuring Facebook Pages
- Fixed Facebook Fan Posts showing in the Sent column
- Ensure that hidden posts in Facebook do not appear in Seesmic Desktop
- Improvements for various displays message in Facebook posts